Thread: Glow plugs

caleybo's Avatar Junior Member

Glow plugs

Hi everyone, 2011 Crafter 2.5. Glow plugs in cylinder 4&5 have broken off. They are still in the head, so not loosing compression. I rang a few garages and they all said just put it all back together and as long a it starts this time of year (currently -5) then just keep running it with 1-2-3 glow plugs. Will this harm the engine in any way TIA.
    Last edited by caleybo; 01-18-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Anyone out there can offer advice.

Hi caleybo,
    I don't have a Crafter (yet) but do have a Delica - 2.8, 4cylinder. It gets through glow plugs rather quicker than I'd like and quite frequently it starts on 3 or 2 cylinders when it's really cold - it chugs and puffs out white smoke for a few seconds, but then goes on all 4. I've not had any engine problems due to that in the 10years+ I've had it.
    I used to have a C250TD Merc 2.5 5cylinder that also ate glowplugs - again, cold start chugging and blowing white smoke but it went smooth after a few seconds - no engine damage there either.
    I know this isn't specifically Crafter but I hope it helps.
    Graeme

TheBeast's Avatar Senior Member
    Shouldn't expect any long term damage having two plugs out as long as you keep the other 3 in good working order. Starting might become a bit lumpy in extreme low temperatures and some smoke on first start-up.

With two snapped-off plugs in the head often the only real way to get them out involves having the head off and plugs professionally removed - and everything that goes with the work involved in getting the head off.

I'd sit tight as-is as your garage have suggested unless it becomes a real problem.

The slower starting invariably puts a bit extra strain on the battery and starter motor over time - something to keep an eye on.

In my experience with Glow Plugs, unless the temperature is well below freezing, they really don't do much, I had this with my TD5 Landrover Defender, I randomly tested one after a mate changed his to find out they were all dud and it always started.
    Now this maybe different on VW's but I don't think this should harm the motor

Thanks for all the replies. As suggested I'm going to leave them be. It's starting in -6 so no worries.